Fishman Fluence to pre-refined fly classic

A general musical discussion that doesn't fall under other categories.
iroc07

Fishman Fluence to pre-refined fly classic

Post by iroc07 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:47 pm

I searched but could not find any mention of anyone putting a set of fishman fluence pickups into a fly.... Is this because they are slightly thicker than the originals? They are .89" from the bottom of the mounting flange, to the top. Or because there is some issue wiring them up into the parkers electronics? or both? lol.

I have 6 parkers/flys (2 classics, a deluxe, and 2 single cuts, and a bass)

Would really love to get the fishmans in there so any help or advise would be mucho appreciated.

Thanks!!!

vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Fishman Fluence to pre-refined fly classic

Post by vjmanzo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:18 pm

Hi @iroc07; Fluence Pickups are a very innovative concept! They print the coil around a PCB instead of using wire; very cool especially in terms of replicability.

I think the issue with putting them in a Fly is mounting them through the polepiece/threaded-insert approach. Not impossible though!!

mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:28 pm

+1 to VJ's post.

Being as the Singlecuts, NiteFly, Adam D, Vernon Reid and PDF guitars use standard pickup routes and mounting rings, Fluences shouldn't be an issue to install. The Fly classics and deluxe are a different story.

You can fit whatever pickups you want in a Fly, provided you're willing to route out the front of the guitar and raise the strings an inch off the fretboard if they're thicker than the factory pickups. Otherwise, you'll need to modify the pickups themselves to fit in the routes (best of luck trimming the bottom PCB or removing the epoxied cover that's on most of the Fluences) and then mount them with a double-sided adhesive or other workaround; being as they can't utilize the design of polepiece screws and threaded inserts under the A and B strings.

iroc07

Post by iroc07 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:17 am

So its the physical limitations that make it difficult in a classic or deluxe, but the wiring(adding power and not screwing up the piezo or the blending capability) is doable.

I can add threaded inserts into the body. I just didnt know if there was enough room to route out the body especially in the neck position where it is so thin.

Maybe for the deluxe I have I should stick to the seymour option, and put the fluences into the singlecut.

vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:34 am

Yes, the body thickness at the neck pickup pocket is quite thin and doesn’t leave much to work with in terms of routing.

Before you go down this road, I will just mention that Dimarzio will wind any of their pickups with the Fly baseplate. Also, you can buy a Fly pickup and have Duncan or just about any other pickup company wins their pickup using that baseplate. This is a much more reliable and reversible approach, but, of course: who doesn’t love a good guitar mod project :lol:

jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:01 am

always, Always, ALWAYS! seek to modify the pickup before the routing on the fly guitar!
Its easier and I have always returned home to loving the 2nd gen dimarzios.
So don't throw 'em out when you take them out.

If you buy direct from fishman, you might see if they would custom-build one for your fly. Even if its $500, Id say its worth it.
just plain lost

iroc07

Post by iroc07 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:28 pm

jb63 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:01 am

If you buy direct from fishman, you might see if they would custom-build one for your fly. Even if its $500, Id say its worth it.
I do have a friend that knows Larry Fishman in a professional sense. Maybe I could ask if that is something they would consider.

Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:08 am

I called Fishman to try the custom approach. It was a no go. But then I don’t have a line to Larry!

vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:23 am

Patzag wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:08 am
I called Fishman to try the custom approach. It was a no go. But then I don’t have a line to Larry!
Side note to self: start a new band called “Line to Larry” :lol: