Fly piezo just stopped :-(

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
wickedfish

Fly piezo just stopped :-(

Post by wickedfish » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:15 pm

Background:
I got a late 90's purple Fly around 7 months ago, and of course I love it.
I traded in a Nitefly to get it.
When I went to pick it up, the piezo didn't work. Stereo cable, good battery, etc. all things were checked.
I came back twice and eventually they got it all to work right. They didn't say exactly what they fixed.

All was good for 7 months. Flick the pickup selector and piezo sound comes on. Sounds great!

A couple of weeks ago, NO PIEZO. I only get the magnetic pickups if I hit the stereo/mono button on the end of the guitar.

Any ideas?
Is it a bad input jack? Bad Stereo Mono switch?

I opened up the back and it doesn't look like anyone has messed around it there. Looks stock ( and complex!)

Thanks for any ideas!

vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Fly piezo just stopped :-(

Post by vjmanzo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:34 pm

Sorry to hear this!

Do you see any corrosion on any of the components on the inside? If the magnetic pickups work, then it’s probably not the piezo preamp (since the magnetic pickups run through the piezo preamp on a pre-refined fly). Sometimes, an irregularly-sized quarter-inch jack will cause problems with the switching. Are you able to test this with a TRS cable to see if the signals are being transmitted?

Do you get any signal if you lightly touch the saddles or if you adjust the piezo control knob(s)?
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11, Fly Concert ' 98, Fly Maple Custom '01, Fly Nylon '99, Fly Stealth '00 info

Notes_Norton
DragonFly Veteran

Post by Notes_Norton » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:39 am

Here in coastal Florida, with any guitar I'd suspect the switch first.

If you can see contact in the switch try Caig DeOxit Red to clean corrosion off the contacts, and if that restores it, put some Caig DeOxit Gold to slow down future corrosion. These two products are a lifesaver for me here in salty, humid Florida. I used to get these at a local Radio Shack, now I get them at Amazon.

Notes
Bob "Notes" Norton
Norton Music: http://www.nortonmusic.com Band-in-a-Box power user style software
Also The Sophisticats: http://www.s-cats.com

Mr303
Forum Veteran

Post by Mr303 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:50 pm

Notes_Norton wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:39 am
Here in coastal Florida, with any guitar I'd suspect the switch first.

If you can see contact in the switch try Caig DeOxit Red to clean corrosion off the contacts, and if that restores it, put some Caig DeOxit Gold to slow down future corrosion. These two products are a lifesaver for me here in salty, humid Florida. I used to get these at a local Radio Shack, now I get them at Amazon.

Notes
I second this...I’ve used it for years on all my stereophile patch cords and it’s amazing stuff.
The gold on battery terminals improve conductivity enough on my ham radio and old cell phone that the battery would usually show a bar or two more after application. I used Deoxit to salvage a GPS battery compartment that had battery leakage about a month ago and it worked wonders.

wickedfish

Post by wickedfish » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:12 am

Huh, I just wrote a lengthy reply and it disappeared after trying to post!
I am cursed!
Anyway, there is no corrosion. Inside looks pristine. The cable is the same stereo one that has worked for 7 months. No degradation of sound at all, just suddenly stopped working.
There is no noise at all when piezo is selected. Tapping on bridge or knob turning does nothing.

Yea, I think maybe the switch is the culprit, or at least the first place to look.
I'm not in Florida, but I could see a cheap little switch failing or gumming up.
I will play with that first. See if I can get it out and maybe connect some wires so it is permanently in stereo mode.

How hard could that be?? :?:

Thanks for the input you guys!

jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:17 pm

90% of the time it's the switch. I think the part # is actually on this site somewhere, too!
just plain lost

vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:09 pm

jb63 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:17 pm
I think the part # is actually on this site somewhere, too!
Indeed: any three-way switch (on-off-on) will do; the original switch was made by C&K; I spoke with C&K and they said that this is very close to the original in bat size: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/611-7203T1CGE

I recently ordered this switch (and also the on-on-on switch for the magnetic pickups) from Mouser, but it was back-ordered, so, as soon as it arrives, I can confirm the size too.
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11, Fly Concert ' 98, Fly Maple Custom '01, Fly Nylon '99, Fly Stealth '00 info